About Gray Television: Gray Television supports local community interests by providing quality television broadcasting and exceptional service in each market we serve. Gray owns and/or operates television stations and leading digital properties in 93 television markets including the first or second highest rated television station in 85 markets. We are an unmatched broadcast pioneer that keeps getting bigger and better. We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and seeking new ways to stay on top in our markets, we focus on training and development of the best and brightest employees in the business.
WHSV is located in Harrisonburg, Virginia situated in the Shenandoah Valley. We have been consistently honored for our journalism by the Associated Press and Virginia Association of Broadcasters. Our team produces nearly 30 hours of local news each week. We strive to bring our viewers the best content on all platforms. Harrisonburg is a thriving community located two hours from Washington, D.C. and Richmond. We operate the market’s ABC, CBS and FOX affiliates. Learn more about WHSV at whsv.com.
Our morning and noon meteorologist is being promoted within the company to a larger market, which leaves us searching for our next Daybreak weather talent. This is a wonderful opportunity for anyone with a passion for weather. Must be a “morning person” with the ability to show up to work at 3:00a.m. and prepare for our two-hour long morning newscast “WHSV Daybreak” which airs live from 5:00-7:00a.m. Monday through Friday. You’ll also broadcast weather on “WHSV News at Noon”. Must be a team player, energetic, passionate about weather and accept feedback. Must be willing to do community outreach like school visits (post-COVID) and do weather live shots for various newscasts. You’ll use the latest WSI MAX weather technology. Must be able to read and interpret weather data and present weather in an understandable manner. Must demonstrate working knowledge of social media and the importance of informing the public about the forecast in both severe and non-severe weather patterns. NWA/AMS/CBM Seal(s) preferred. Learn from our chief meteorologist who’s been in the market a decade.
- Primary role: Producing and presenting clear, accurate and engaging forecasts on our morning and noon newscasts “WHSV Daybreak” and “WHSV News at Noon”
- Passionate about weather, climate, environmental issues and communication
- Ability to read and interpret weather data including atmospheric models
- Updating the station’s digital platforms and social media
- Write compelling weather-related content for on-air and online as needed
- Available 24/7 during severe weather events
- Filling in for other meteorologists as needed
- Live reporting from the field as needed
- A Broadcast Communications/Journalism degree preferred
- A degree in meteorology preferred
- Must be willing to work all shifts
- Working in a high-pressure environment, meeting tight deadlines
- Ability to work independently
- Has strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrates good news judgment and decision making and a positive attitude
- Employment is contingent on a pre-employment drug screen and motor vehicle background check
Come join our awesome team, apply online at https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings by searching the station call letters (WHSV-TV) and attach resume
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge. GRAY TELEVISION, INC. PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY.