Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants should upload a resume and cover letter. Candidates who apply within the first 14 days of posting will receive first consideration.
Applicants may be asked to provide a portfolio and/or examples of recent work as it relates to this position.
The Digital Media Specialist is responsible for producing high-quality content for a wide range of digital communication platforms in support of the University’s strategic communication goals. The Digital Media Specialist conceptualizes, plans, schedules, shoots, and edits video and photos for marketing-critical areas of the University. The position is based on the Hattiesburg campus, but travel to other USM and off-campus locations is expected as needed to fulfill job responsibilities.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributes to the overall creative strategy for the University’s primary public-facing digital presence and marketing initiatives, ensuring digital videography and photography align with strategic communication goals.
- Conceptualizes and produces high-quality videography and photography. Manages all logistics associated with set-up and direction, including iconic imagery, landscapes, architecture and buildings, people, groups, events, arts, classroom and lab settings, student activities, athletics, formal ceremonies, etc.
- Collaborates with other University Communications staff on high-profile marketing communications efforts, including video and photo content for use across a variety of platforms such as usm.edu, social media, YouTube, and others.
- Edits high-profile videos in support of the University’s strategic communication goals. Assembles video components to create a finished product. Inserts and manipulates voice-over, graphics, music, and transitions. Reorders and fine-tunes content to ensure the logical sequencing and smooth running of videos.
- Organizes and manages digital assets including safe storage practices and consistent filing structure. Participates in proposal development for related hardware and software as needed. Develops, supports, and evaluates strategies for visual content migration during comprehensive or incremental web upgrades as assigned.
- Works with decentralized web content editors as assigned to provide video and photo resources for various unit-level web requests. Maintains knowledge of digital videography and photography best practices and performs other duties as assigned.
-One year of related professional experience organizing, managing and executing video and photo shoots, and using editing software, specifically Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Premier.
-Valid driver’s license.
-Knowledge of digital photography best practices.
-Efficient computer skills, particularly in the use of email and navigating the internet.
-Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
-Excellent interpersonal skills.
-Strong organizational and prioritization skills.
-Ability to operate professional video and photo equipment.
-Ability to pay close attention to detail.
-Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and work effectively under deadlines.
-Ability to work independently and as a member of a diverse team.
-Ability to manage large groups effectively during video and photo shoots.
-Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends for special events as assigned.
-Ability to travel between USM locations and off-campus events as needed.
-Experience with project management.
-Experience working with web content management system (CMS) software.
-Experience with management and storage of video and photo assets.
About The University of Southern Mississippi
The University of Southern Mississippi (USM) is a comprehensive public research institution delivering transformative programs on campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, at teaching and research sites across the Mississippi Gulf Coast, as well as online. Founded in 1910, USM is one of only 131 universities in the nation to earn the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education’s “R1: Doctoral Universities – Very high research activity” designation, and its robust research enterprise includes experts in ocean science and engineering, polymer science and engineering, and large event venue safety and security, among others. USM is also one of only 37 institutions in the nation accredited in theatre, art and design, dance and music. As an economic driver, USM generates an annual economic impact of more than $600 million across the state. USM welcomes a diverse student body of more than 14,000, representing 71 countries, all 50 states, and every county in Mississippi. USM students have collected four Truman Scholarships and 37 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships, while also leading Mississippi with 27 Goldwater Scholarships, an honor that recognizes the next generation of great research scientists. Home to the Golden Eagles, USM competes in 17 Division I sports sponsored by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). For more information, visit www.usm.edu.
As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer/Americans with Disabilities Act institution, The University of Southern Mississippi encourages minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply.