This position is in the Mississippi Department of Mental Health’s Bureau of Outreach and Planning and reports to the Director of Planning and Communications. This position is responsible for internal and external communications to help further the mission and goals of the agency. This position is responsible for the writing and design of monthly internal and external newsletters and weekly updates to the DMH website and intranet. This position maintains contact and works with DMH Bureaus and Programs to identify and promote relevant information about services and activities through internal and external communications. This includes but is not limited to: recovery/resiliency activities, workforce development, alcohol and drug services, children and youth services, adult services, services and activities at all 12 DMH programs, and partnerships and initiatives with other state agencies. This position is responsible for all social media activities, such as planning and developing social media outreach, graphics, and messaging. Duties also include photography and videography as needed at events and for awareness campaigns and other outreach activities. This position acts as the primary contact for media relations, including writing and distributing press releases and columns to local and statewide media and responding to media inquiries in a timely manner. This position serves as a spokesperson for the agency and promotes and maintains contact with representatives of the media. This person serves as the primary contact for public records requests and tracks media coverage related to the agency. This position assists and works with DMH Bureaus and Programs as needed to develop documents and distribute them through the appropriately identified channels. This position fosters relationships with advocates, stakeholders, and others.
A Master’s Degree and five (5) years of experience (two (2) of which must have been in functional administrative or oversight of statewide programs) is required.
A Bachelor’s Degree and six (6) years of experience (two (2) of which must have been in functional administrative or oversight of statewide programs) is required.
Preference will be given to those with:
• Experience working with members of the news media and responding to media inquiries
• Proven experience as a communications specialist, such as in fields like journalism, marketing, or public relations
• Experience in graphic design, publication layout, web design, and content production is a plus
• Experience in managing an organization’s social media presence is a plus
• Working knowledge about the Mississippi Department of Mental Health
• Strong organizational skills
• Strong writing and editing skills
• Experience presenting to groups or organizing outreach campaigns and initiatives
• Experience organizing press conferences
• Experience developing communication strategies
• Experience developing outreach materials like newsletters, brochures, and graphics
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
Starting Salary: $42,492.63
Deadline to apply: October 9, 2020
Interested applicants must complete the application process through the Mississippi State Personnel Board at www.mspb.ms.gov. Instructions are detailed in the Job Seekers tab. This employment opportunity will appear in the Job Openings section on the site. Please submit a resume with your application.
If you have questions, please contact Toni Johnson at the MS Department of Mental Health 601-359-6244 or via e-mail at Toni.Johnson@dmh.ms.gov.