Your role in helping us shape the future:
U.S. News empowers everyone to thrive. In this position, you’ll be responsible for writing education advice content that is mainly aimed at parents and students and covers a range of higher education and K-12 topics. You’ll also contribute to the editorial coverage of our education rankings, including Best Colleges, Grad Schools, High Schools, Online Programs and Global Universities.
As an education reporter, you’ll write and update articles and slideshows that help people make decisions about their education. Your higher education coverage will focus on graduate schools, including medical, business and law schools, and pathways to the workforce. Many of these stories will be based on data collected by our internal data team. You’ll also periodically write evergreen advice pieces about topics related to undergraduate schools, such as college admissions and financial aid, and K-12 schools, such as classroom instruction and social-emotional learning.
As a multifaceted reporter, you’ll use analytics tools to monitor the performance of our content and write or contribute to our twice-monthly newsletters. You’ll also pitch in on editing newsletters and content from outside contributors as needed. And you’ll work closely with digital producers, SEO experts and rankings data analysts.
Are you up to the challenge?
You should be a nimble reporter who is skilled at juggling multiple assignments, meeting deadlines, working with data, editing copy and explaining complex topics to a broad audience. We are looking for a self-starter who prizes accuracy and thrives in a fast-paced team environment.
Applicants must provide three writing clips in addition to a résumé and cover letter.
You should definitely have:
- At least one to three years of professional reporting and writing experience, preferably in an online news environment.
- Strong research, reporting, writing, editing and analytical skills.
- Ability to prioritize assignments and meet deadlines.
- Interest in higher education and K-12 topics and advice-oriented writing.
- Excellent communication and organization skills.
- Ability to collaborate with multiple teams.
- Familiarity with content management systems, web production and social media.
- Strong understanding of SEO and experience using SEO tools
- Journalism or related degree or equivalent experience.
It would be nice if you had:
- Expertise in higher education or K-12.
- Experience using data in reporting..
- Strong knowledge of AP style.
- Experience with traffic analytics tools like Google Analytics.
- Experience building and optimizing newsletters.
- Experience using Google tools and Airtable.
What it’s like to work with us:
- Talent is our best asset!
- We invest in people with passion and potential who understand U.S. News’ dedication to our consumers.
- Entrepreneurial, mission-driven culture with core values of quality and integrity.
- Focus on fostering personal and professional growth.
- Competitive benefits including paid vacation time, medical, tuition reimbursement, and training.
- Collaborative Work Environment ~ Fun, diverse, inclusive and ambitious co-workers.