Description of Position:
The Communications Specialist works to implement the district’s communication plans and strategies to continually enhance the relationship between the district and staff, students, parents and community by providing consistent, reliable, timely and engaging information. This position develops and distributes district communications through photography, print, audiovisual and electronic formats and assists in managing district projects and events.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works in cooperation with Director of Communications in the preparing, formatting, publishing and dissemination of district communication. (e.g. district newsletters, reports, website content, networking, mailings).
- Maintains schedule for regular, relevant written and multimedia content.
- Assists in coordinating and responding to information requests, community flyer distribution, and public complaints.
- Maintains content and social media pages as assigned with consistency, adhering to style guidelines, branding and voice.
- Coordinates with graphic designer, printers and other contractors as needed.
- Assists staff in the preparation or editing of communications including reports, articles, correspondence, speeches and presentations.
- Supports district events with photography, social media, and news releases.
- Supports staff during emergencies, working closely with others in the district’s incident command team to disseminate accurate information in a timely fashion.
- Works with all members of the school community in promoting good public relations.
- Develops concepts, writes scripts, secures photos, and supervises the production of multimedia for district news, events, and recognitions.
- Monitors local, state, and national news related to educational issues.
- Produces news releases and other media communications as assigned.
- Contributes to a climate of cooperation between the media and district for mutual benefit in the dissemination of news to public audiences at the local and national levels.
- Supports media related events by supplying reporters with pertinent information and providing photography.
- Maintains positive relationship with local media representatives and reporters.
- Designs advertising campaigns and adheres to marketing/branding goals for the district.
- Supports advertising initiatives of the district.
- Provides support to school/department leadership in marketing events, placing advertising, and announcing recognitions.
Qualifications and Education Required:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree with major in communication, public relations, journalism, marketing, or education.
- 3-4 years of related experience preferred in following areas: directing organizational public relations, community relations, media relations, government relations, and/or legislative activity. Preferred experience in schools and/or public sector.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including writing, editing and proofreading in Associated Press style, standard business styles and colloquial styles.
- Ability to write clear, concise, grammatically and factually correct copy in varying styles in a timely fashion.
- Knowledge of graphic design principles and ability to quickly generate creative support for graphics.
- Ability to follow laws and district policies.
- Ability to read and interpret complex reports on school finance, testing, transportation, and other education-related topics. Ability to take complex ideas and communicate them to a diverse audience. Ability to speak effectively before groups.